Brunner, Inc., was founded by Francis J. Brunner in 1930 and incorporated in 1932. The firm had two employees in the beginning. During its first 19 years the company grew – slowly but steadily – as a job printer, until 1949; when Mr. Brunner decided to offer creative design services directly to his customer. The company quickly gained a reputation as a “creative printer.”
Francis Brunner knew there was a market in the area for a printer offering creative design services. He hired a freelance artist and began preparing layouts – initially just for letterheads – submitting these as a sales aid when calling on a customer or prospect. Each design sold opened the door for new business, since it was used on statements, envelopes, business cards and other materials.